Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Renaissance. Rebirth.

Renaissance - The Rebirth.

After some 3 months, I am finally emerging from my own dark ages and middle ages, to relaunch and rediscover.

I have been declaring to all and sundry that I am bored, that there's just a sense of emptiness that I am floating in. Day in day out, it's the same routine. What's the point? Indeed, I have been walking the same underpass every morning for some 9 years, rushing early in the morning. How more predictable can it get? Even the Ritz-Carlton does not excite me at all. Everything feels the same, though everything is different. So, I guess Mary is right - it's all a matter of my self-decreed state of inertia, in other words my own perspective. So thanks to all, especially these few days; I am now officially in my new cycle.
So there, 2 things this year, officially. 'O' Levels and SYF.

The other day, Daryl of 4-4/2006 was just telling me that I should blog bout their 'O' Level Results, just to start my blog going again. So I am taking up his suggestion, and will just give my two cents worth. Indeed, we have all worked extremely hard for his batch. As I have said to many, I have never worked so hard before - bl__dy hard. And all our hard work, as a school, has paid off. They have done extremely well. It is not easy, frankly, especially with all the diversions throughout last year. But the batch has risen to the occasion, and the results say it all: L1r5 of 9.5, topping the nation in Maths, History, Social Studies, Biology, and coming in 6th for English and Physics. 57% Distinction and MSG of 2.3 for English. 100% Distinction for MEP Higher Music, and 75% Distinction for Music. It's a Band 1 for Catholic High! Finally we are back again! That sense of a comeback is tremendous. And it's not merely a comeback, but a roaring surge! Kudos to the Class of 2006, and to the entire team of teachers who worked and slogged.

I think the current 2007 batch of Sec 4s are feeling the motivation, the stress, and the fear. And this is good. You know you have got to maintain, if not better, the performance that you seniors have attained for our alma mater. And from the lead-up to Prelims One, I think MOST have shaped up, and settled down. Well, only for MOST. There are still a handful still in self-denial. But for all, let's keep telling ourselves: THERE'S NO MORE TIME. WE JUST GOT TO KEEP PRESSING AHEAD. NO TURNING BACK. NO STOPPING. JUST KEEP GOING. MOMENTUM! And after Prelims 1, DON'T SLACK in the holidays. Results 2006 was not built by slacking, but by sheer grit and hardwork. So there, Class of 2007, you lead us now. SHOW US THE LIGHT.

Then there's SYF. This is it. Four mere weeks before SYF. How many SYFs have I gone through since back in Cath High? 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, and now 2007. From a Silver, to our first Gold, to the next Gold, then the Gold With Honours. This year, we must get our Gold With Honours, and more! It's a long journey, and NOTHING IS FOR GRANTED, NOTHING IS EASY. Like I told the band the other day, this is the time for sheer grit, determination, tenacity and will. We just got to keep forging ahead. We should be confident, but not over-confident. In fact, we should not be at this point confident of a GWH, because that is certainly the sign of complacency and a sure path towards disappointment. We must practise like there is no tomorrow, and we must be simply brimming with desire and exertion towards the GWH. Only then can we be certain that there is hope of that. So, CHSSB: faster, further, higher.

And for me, on a personal note, this is gona be my last year of association with the Band. In fact, last year's 2006 CHSSB Sec 4 was my last full-time batch, and they all knew it. That's why I practically gave my all, for Aesthetique, for everything, last year. And indeed, this year, I just cannot come down to the Band as often as I like anymore, because of commitments. My appearances in the band have been sparse and at odd hours, usually right at the very end. But in a sense, 2007 CHSSB Sec 4 is the final batch which I have had since Sec 1, and I owe it to you, and you expect it of me, to complete the SYF together. So this will be our last SYF, and we MUST give our everything for it. We cannot have regrets. There will be no 'What Ifs'. There will only be a sense of Mission Accomplished and Sweet Victory. We CAN, MUST, and WILL Soar!

Then, that's it. Period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

url("http://www.blogblog.com/harbor/lighthouse.jpg") wrap { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/harbor/sky.jpg") repeat-x left top; min-width:740px; margin:0; padding:0; text-align:left; } wrap3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/harbor/cloud.jpg") no-repeat 100% 75px; } wrap4 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/harbor/center_cloud.jpg") no-repeat 50% 0; padding:15px; width:100%; width/* */:/**/auto; width: /**/auto; } Nicol Ngiam
Tan Wei Lie